Liquor Licenses & Permits

Temporary Event Liquor License

Patterned after the State’s license, this temporary liquor license* [for events of short duration (7 days or less)] allows any church, school, civic, service, fraternal, veteran, political or charitable club or organization to sell or serve alcohol, upon approval of the license by City Council.  Submit application at least four (4) weeks in advance of the event.

The following documents must be submitted with the application:

  • Letter of permission from the property owner, stating that alcohol is allowed to be served at the event.
  • Insurance Certificate for the event, showing that host liquor liability coverage is included.
  • If the event is being held outdoors, the organization must contact the owners/occupants of all properties within 185 feet of the event location, notifying them of the proposed event and the time and place of the Council meeting at which the application will be considered.  (The City, or Clay County mapping dept., can assist with obtaining property owner information)
  • Fee $15 for each calendar day, or fraction thereof, for which the license is issued.

Note:   Once approved by City Council, a letter will be provided to the applicant to submit to the Missouri Department of Alcohol and Tobacco for the State Permit.   The City License will be issued once a copy of the State Permit is received.

Caterer’s Permit

A permit* for caterers, or other businesses holding a license from this city, or any other governmental subdivision in the State of Missouri, to sell intoxicating liquor by the drink at a function, occasion or event at a particular location other than the licensed premises.   Such permit is effective for a period not to exceed seventy-two (72) consecutive hours.

The following documents must be submitted with the application:

  • Insurance Certificate, showing that liquor liability coverage is included.
  • $15 for each calendar day, or fraction thereof, for which the permit is issued.

*Sec. 3-30.5. - Limited licenses for temporary events and caterers' permits.

Liquor Licenses [Establishment]

Liquor Licenses are issued in accordance with Chapter 3, ‘Alcoholic Beverages’, of the City Code.

Once application has been made for a City Business License (through the Finance Dept.), an application for a Liquor License may then be submitted to the Deputy City Clerk.  The license year runs from July 1 – June 30.  Proration of fees begin in January (min. payment of three months required).

The following documents must be submitted with the application:

  • Completed Managing Officer Background Check form.
  • Copy of Managing Officer’s Driver’s License.
  • Applicable Fees (refer to fee schedule on the application).
  • A copy of the State of Missouri Liquor License must be received before the City of Liberty Liquor License is issued.

Employee Liquor Dispensing Permit

Any employee selling, serving, or in any way dispensing any intoxicating liquor or beer in any place licensed by the City of Liberty to sell such, must first obtain a Liquor Dispensing Permit. This permit may be obtained through the City of Liberty Finance Department.