Crime prevention tips while shopping:
- While out and about, present an alert appearance. Be aware of your surroundings; scan the area from time to time. Avoid focusing so much on shopping that you fail to keep track of your surroundings, others near you or your personal property.
- Simply securing your automobile can significantly reduce your risk of becoming a theft victim.
- Park in visible locations. Most criminals who steal from vehicles are easily deterred by people viewing their activities. When selecting a parking spot, determine how many opportunities exist for others to see it. If the parking spot is highly visible in a high traffic area, the chances of becoming a victim are significantly reduced. Maximize the availability of witnesses in the area.
- Plan your shopping/errands so that you don’t load your trunk until you are ready to drive to another destination.
- Try to avoid leaving packages or shopping bags visible in your car by locking them in the trunk out of sight if you have to leave packages in your car unattended. Locking everything valuable in the trunk may be difficult when you’re combining errands at multiple destinations. “Out of sight, out of mind” is often effective. If items cannot be hidden within the vehicle, the next best option is to remove them completely.
- When returning to your vehicle, carry your keys in your hand and be ready to unlock the door and enter as quickly as possible. As you approach your vehicle, scan the area, glance around the vehicle and take a quick look inside before entering.
Travelling over the holidays? Check out these tips to protect your property over the holidays.