Home Security Tips
Crime prevention tips for home security:
- Lock all doors and windows and make sure they are in good repair.
- Conceal valuables. Keep valuable items out of sight from anyone looking in from outside the house. Don't keep spare keys in places obvious to burglars such as under a flower pot or fake rock.
- Always lock your vehicle, remove valuable items or conceal them from view if parked in the driveway.
- Deposit your mail in a mail slot at your local post office or hand it to your letter carrier. Never send cash or coins in the mail. Collect delivered mail and packages as soon as possible.
Crime prevention tips to help protect your home and property while you’re away:
- Use timers on lights, radios, TVs, etc. to make them go on and off during the day and night to make your home appear occupied.
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery or have a trusted neighbor pick up anything left at your home.
- Keep landscaping neat and trimmed.
- Ask neighbors to watch your home and report any suspicious activities.
- Leave your itinerary with a neighbor so you can be contacted in an emergency.
- Disconnect your electric garage door opener and padlock the door on the inside.
- Ask a neighbor or friend to park their vehicle in your driveway.
- If you have a burglar alarm, set it and notify your alarm company that you will be away. Provide the alarm company with an up-to-date list of persons to contact about the alarm.