What is a COA and how do I get one?

A Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) is necessary for obtaining a building permit for exterior work on a structure within the City’s historic districts. You can submit the COA application online. If you are not able to submit the application online, please call 816.439.4537 and staff will be able to assist you.

You will be asked to briefly describe the work proposed and list the materials to be used. You and your contractor may already have this information at hand as part of the building permit process. The HDRC meets twice a month to review applications. Meetings are open to the public, and the applicant is encouraged to attend.

application form

Show All Answers

1. What is the HDRC?
2. What does it mean to live in a historic district?
3. Do I need to get a permit to work on my house?
4. What is a COA and how do I get one?
5. Does the HDRC tell me what color I can paint my house?
6. I want to replace my old windows. What will the HDRC allow for replacements?
7. Will the City make me restore my house to its original appearance?
8. What if I can’t afford to fix up my home?
9. I have a plaque on my house; what does it mean?
10. How can I find out the history of my house?
11. Is the interior of my house regulated by the Historic District Review Commission?
12. How do I know what I can and cannot do to my home?
13. Why doesn’t the city make my neighbor clean up his home?
14. Why can’t I do what I want to my own property?
15. What does it cost to get a COA?
16. I hear I can’t use vinyl on my home.  Why?