What should I do if I experience a sanitary system overflow?

Contact the City of Liberty Utilities Maintenance Division at 816.439.4763. If the problem occurs outside of normal working hours, which are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., please contact the Liberty Police Department at 816.439.4701. You can expect the maintenance crew to respond in a timely manner. Day, time and workload do affect response capability. If it is determined that there is no problem in the City sewer main, you may choose to have your lateral line checked by a plumber. The City will not choose, recommend or contact a plumber for you. You have a responsibility to mitigate your damages as soon as possible. For insurance purposes, it is advisable to document any damage and take photographs prior to beginning clean-up; but if unable, you should not wait to begin sanitizing your home. Due to the nature of a sewer system, it is not always reasonable or in the community’s best interest for the City to reimburse property owners in the event they experience damage from a sewer back-up. Every incident must be reviewed on a case-by-case basis in order to determine if the City has any liability for the damage and responsibility to reimburse. Citizens are highly encouraged to maintain an insurance policy that covers instances of sanitary sewer overflow or back-up. If you do decide to request reimbursement from the City for damages incurred, contact City Hall during normal working hours at 816.439.4441, and ask for Human Resources/Loss Control. All requests for reimbursement will be filed with the City’s third-party insurance carrier. The City considers all determinations made by the insurance carrier to be final.

Show All Answers

1. How do I report water main breaks and wastewater (sewer) back-ups?
2. Who do I contact to locate water or utility lines?
3. What can I do to prevent sanitary sewer overflow?
4. Are there backflow prevention device requirements in the City?
5. What should I do if I experience a sanitary system overflow?