Will insurance cover any damage to my home or property?
In the majority of cases, a special rider will need to be added to your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy to cover damages related to sewage backups or water damage. This optional coverage is usually not very expensive, but you must request that it be added to your policy. Check with your insurance agent about this policy provision.

As with the majority of municipalities in the country, the city cannot assume full financial responsibility for damages resulting from sewage backups, since most stoppages are related to conditions that are beyond the city’s control. That is why it is important that property owners confirm that they are adequately insured - particularly if areas of their home lie below ground level. Call your insurance agent today to have this coverage added to your policy.

Show All Answers

1. What should I do if sewage backs up into my home?
2. If I call the City, what will they do about a sewer backup onto my property?
3. Is there anything I can do to prevent sewage backup into my home?
4. What does the municipality do to prevent this problem?
5. Will insurance cover any damage to my home or property?
6. How and where should I report a sewer backup?