What should I do if sewage backs up into my home?
-- First, take action to protect people and valuable property.

-- Keeping in mind that ceramic plumbing fixtures such as toilets are fragile, quickly close all drain openings with stoppers or plugs. Tub, sink and floor drains may need additional weight to keep them sealed. A string mop can be used to help plug toilet openings.

-- Don't run any water down your drains until the blockage has been cleared.

-- A quick check with nearby neighbors will help determine if the backup appears to be in your wastewater service line or widespread in your neighborhood. If the backup is widespread, call the Utilities Maintenance division immediately at 816-439-4763.

-- Call a plumber if the problem is contained to your wastewater service line.

Show All Answers

1. What should I do if sewage backs up into my home?
2. If I call the city, what will they do about a sewer backup onto my property?
3. Is there anything I can do to prevent sewage backup into my home?
4. What does the municipality do to prevent this problem?
5. Will insurance cover any damage to my home or property?
6. How and where should I report a sewer backup?