Crime Prevention Tips & Services
Tips to protect your car from being stolen:
- Never leave your unattended car running with the keys in the ignition. It’s against the law.
- Close all windows, lock the doors and take the keys.
- Keep few or no valuables in your vehicle.
- If you do keep valuables in the car, place them out of sight or in the trunk.
- Park in a busy well-lighted or attended area.
- Don’t leave your car registration, personal identification documents, keys or credit cards/checks anywhere in the vehicle.
- Consider alarms, steering wheel locks or fuel cut-off switches.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked all of the time, even if you are at home.
Vehicle Security Checklist
When leaving your vehicle unattended for shopping, recreation, repairs or at home, the police department encourages you to do the following:
- Remove all valuables.
- Remove the stereo faceplate.
- Remove any loose money.
- Remove all keys.
- Remove the garage door opener.
- Lock your vehicle.
For additional information, visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.