Do I need to get a permit to work on my house?
Any homeowner must obtain the proper building permits from the City for structural work on their homes, in order to assure that building codes are satisfied. Exterior work on homes within the historic districts must also be reviewed by the Historic District Review Commission (HDRC) to ensure that the historic character of the home is not compromised. Once the proposed changes have been approved by the HDRC, a Certificate of Appropriateness will be issued.

Show All Answers

1. What is the HDRC?
2. Do I need to get a permit to work on my house?
3. Does the HDRC tell me what color I can paint my house?
4. I want to replace my old windows. What will the HDRC allow for replacements?
5. Will the City make me restore my old house to its original appearance?
6. I have a plaque on my house; what does it mean?
7. What is a COA and how do I get one?
8. What if I can’t afford to fix up my home?
9. How can I find out the history of my house?